1. Which style hood do I need?

First of all, where is the cooking equipment located?  If the cooking equipment will be against the wall, you will need a Wall Hood.  If the cooking equipment will be located in an open area of the room, accessible from all sides, you will need an Island Hood.

Secondly, what type of cooking will be done under the hood?  Char grilling and deep grease fryers require more exhaust than stoves, ovens or dishwashers, as well as appropriate filtration.  Our BSSM, VSSD, VSE, and CONCESSION style hoods are designed specifically for this application.  See our PRODUCTS page for details on these models and their application.

Finally, what are your height constraints in the cooking area?  Our VSSD, VSE, and CONCESSION style hoods are designed with a lower profile in the front (ranging from 16" to 4") for use where lower ceiling height is a consideration.  The Concession hood is sized 30" front-to-back for use in cramped Concession Trailer applications.

2. What size hood do I need?

National Fire Code (NFC) dictates that the hood should extend a minimum of 6 inches on all sides beyond all of the equipment that is under it. Please consult your local Fire Marshall for your specific requirements.

3. Do I need a Make-up Air or Supply Air Fan?

Yes.  Our BSSM and VSSD hoods duct the supply air directly into the front of the hood.  Other models (Exhaust-only) will need the make-up air to be supplied to the room via a diffuser in the ceiling of the room containing the hood.

4. What is the advantage of having Make-Up Air ducted directly into the hood (as in the BSSM and VSSD models?)

The advantage of our VSSD and BSSM hoods is that the make-up air (MUA), which is air channeled directly from outside the building, goes directly into the hood where it is needed and not on top of the cook's head, which is where external make-up air plenums typically blow.   In colder climates and/or seasons, this would necessitate the use of a heated MUA supply with the external plenum.  Having the air ducted directly into the hood eliminates this necessity, and provides a more efficient, economical , and comfortable system overall.

5. What type of stainless steel is used in the manufacturing of your hoods? Are Stainless Steel filters available?

Our hoods are constructed using 18-gauge Type 430 stainless steel, #3 polish.  Stainless filters are available for an additional cost (aluminum come standard).

6. Who can install the hood?

A licensed HVAC contractor must install your hood system.  Contact your Fire Marshall and Building & HVAC departments for your requirements.

7. Is a fire system included in the Hood?

We strongly recommend adding a fire suppression system to your hood. Pre-piped fire systems are available for an additional charge. As with the hood system, the fire system is customized to your needs.  We use Pyro Chem, the nation's foremost wet chemical fire suppression system for commercial kitchens. For more than one fryer, you incur an upcharge for the extra fire suppression agent and larger tanks required by the system. 

8. What is needed for a complete Hood System?

First, you will need the required permits prior to installation. Please discuss this with your HVAC installer before ordering.

Hood systems include the Hood, Filters, Grease Cup, Welded Duct for Exhaust, Exhaust Fan, Exhaust Curb, Supply or Make Up Air Duct, Supply (or Make Up Air) Fan, Supply Air Curb, Skirting, Fire Wall Panels or Metal behind the hood, and a Fire Suppression System. If you have a lay-in ceiling, you will need metal lay-in panels for the ceiling above the hood.